Several awards and scholarships are presented each year by TACD. Additional awards are availble from the Tennessee Department of Agriculture and the National Association of Conservation Districts (NACD).
Information about TACD awards and scholarships is available on the tabs below as PDF files. Move your mouse to the lower right side of the document for links to download copies. Links at the bottom of the page open pages on TACD partner/affiliate sites.
Tennessee Association of Conservation Districts Awards Program - Category I Award
Conservation Farmer of the Year
Sponsored by Farm Credit Services of Mid-America and the Tennessee Association of Conservation Districts
- Each of Tennessee’s 95 Soil Conservation Districts may recognize a District Cooperator for accomplishments in soil erosion reduction, improvement of water quality and control of sediment or other pollutants. The District winner’s name and documentation may be submitted to the respective TACD Area Director by May 31st of each year for consideration as the Area Conservation Farmer of the Year.
- Judging and selection of Area winners will be arranged by each TACD Area Director. The Area winner will be recognized at the Summer Divisional Meeting by the respective Area Director. Upon selection of the Area winner, the TACD Area Director will forward the yearly winner’s documentation to the appropriate TACD Divisional Vice-President by June 30th of each year. Additionally, information on the Area winners will be forwarded to the TACD Awards Committee, by that same date, so plaques can be requested from Farm Credit Services of Mid-America.
- Judging and selection of each Divisional winner will be arranged by each TACD Divisional Vice-President. The Division winner will be recognized at the Summer Divisional Meeting following the announcement of the Area winners in that Division and be made by the TACD Division Vice-President. Upon selection of the Divisional winner, the TACD Divisional Vice-President will forward the documentation to the Chairman of the TACD Awards Committee by September 30th of each year. Additionally, information on the Divisional winner will be forwarded to the TACD Awards Committee so a plaque can be requested from Farm Credit Services of Mid-America 30 days prior to the Summer Meeting.
- The TACD Awards Committee is responsible for the judging and selection of the Category I, TACD Conservation Farmer of the Year award. The announcement of the state winner will be made at the TACD Annual Meeting of the following year during the annual Awards Breakfast. The TACD Awards Committee will make the final selection by November 30th of each year to aid in the planning of the Awards Breakfast at the next TACD Annual Meeting.
- Recipients should be a District Cooperator who is carrying out a District approved Conservation Plan.
- Documentation should consist of 2 or fewer typewritten pages detailing accomplishments with supporting documents such as:
- A copy of the Conservation Plan with items of accomplishment outlined.
- Copies of news items or other types of recognition.
- Statements or endorsements from local agriculture and conservation leaders or organizations and officials of local government supporting the application for Conservation Farmer of the Year.
- Digital photographs of individuals, family or others appropriate should accompany the nomination. Additional digital photographs should be provided of the activities for which the nomination is being made. No more than 15 to 20 digital photographs should be included in the nomination. Additionally, a CD on which the nomination and digital photographs are included should be attached to the nomination.
- Please note that the documentation and digital photos should be duplicates in that all information will be retained by TACD.
Recognition of winners at each level will be as follows:
- The District Category I winner will be provided a barn sign by Farm Credit Services of Mid-America when requested annually in June of the prior year. Any additional items, such as a plaque, are to be provided by the District.
- The TACD Area winner will be provided a plaque and $250 by Farm Credit Services of Mid-America.
- The TACD Divisional winner will be provided a plaque and $500 by Farm Credit Services of Mid-America.
- The TACD Conservation Farmer of the Year will be provided a plaque and $1,000 by Farm Credit Services of Mid-America.
Additional assistance and information:
Farm Credit Services of Mid-America has provided a dedicated website for information on their sponsorship. The site includes a link to an example of the barn sign, a sample press release that can be used locally to promote the District winner and a number to determine the local office of Farm Credit Services. Farm Credit Services staff should be invited to the event where the local District Category I winner is announced. They should also be invited to the Summer Divisional meeting for the ceremony awarding the Area and Division winners. The website is as follows: http://www.e-farmcredit.com/Community/ConservationProgramTennessee/tabid/653/Default.aspx.
The TACD Area Director is responsible for contacting the appropriate Farm Credit office for their winner and making arrangements with the TACD Division Vice-President for them to be at the summer meeting. Likewise, the TACD Divisional Vice-President is responsible for notifying the appropriate Farm Credit office for the Division winner.
Any additional assistance is available through the TACD Awards Committee Chairman’s office or the TACD Executive Director.
Last, Farm Credit Services of Mid-America is making a substantial commitment to this important TACD award across the state. Please make sure they are appropriately recognized at your meeting.
(revised April, 2009)
Download a copy of the Category I Nomination Form here.
Additional awards and scholarships are available from the organizations below: